Sunday 30 September 2012

Heidelberger Herbst

Hello everyone!

I thought it was time to write another blog since so much has happened! I've now finished my course and luckily I passed so thats 8 credits in the bag already! Yesterday on the last saturday of September, there was a festival called "Heidelberger Herbst" or Heidelberg Autumn in English. We were told by our teacher that it was a big flea market down the high street and that it can sometimes get busy.

Well we were in for a shock. It was HUGE. Hundreds of stalls with food and drink and to be honest, a lot of touristy rubbish but it was still amazing. Really great atmosphere but this may have been due to the fact that people were drinking from 10am onwards. Besides all the touristy crap, there were some rather odd trinkets one could purchase. For example, the picture below. Yes, they are penis shaped bottle openers. In various sizes. If your birthday is coming up soon, watch out! One might be coming your way soon (no crudeness intended!).

The night however was even crazier. Throughout the day there had been music and dance acts, mostly children acts who you smiled politely at whilst they tried their hardest to murder some Beatles classics. The night was a whole other deal. There were thousands of people all around the Altstadt going to the various squares to see loads of different acts. It had a real Glastonbury feel to it with the disgusting portaloos and the dancing crowds. Beer was flowing and everyone was loving it. There was even an ice cream shop that had opened its doors to a DJ and created a huge party on the high street. Whilst still selling icecream. Genius.

We saw one band called "The Wright Stuff" who were unbelievable. I'd definitely recommend them. Great vocalists, very talented musicians and up for a laugh. The band who followed them however were definitely on the strange side to say the least. I cant remember their name at all but they were two men, identical twins, who I can only describe as what I'd expect One Direction to look like in 20 years. Still the same crazy hair but time has taken its toll. This is not the most disturbing thing though. They seemed very close. Now I mean really close. Even for twin brothers. They decided to share a microphone and kept staring in to each others eyes for way too long. Hence we christened them: "Twincest" .

Well if anyone gets the chance, I'd recommend coming to Heidelberger Herbst. All the music and bands are free, the drink is relatively cheap, the food is delicious and its a great warm up for Oktoberfest. Oh didn't I mention that? I'm going to Oktoberfest next weekend during my two weeks off from lectures. I hope everyone has a nice week at work/ uni and works hard! :) Sorry about that I just had to rub it in! Will update next week when I'm hungover in bed!

Over and out

Andy C

p.s and yes I'm going to try and get some lederhosen. Here are just a few pictures.  




No comments:

Post a Comment